Finally! Now THIS is what I expected to see back in the summer, when I first heard that Kristen Stewart had cut all her hair off—pre-clicking over to see the pics.
Instead, what we got was a shaggy, orangey crop, and as I made clear at the time, I wasn't the hugest fan. I mused that I might be swayed over to the short hair camp if she would only lose the orange and go back to brunette (even though I dug the dye when it was long, at Cannes).
Well, that's finally happened, praise the beauty gods. Here's the side-by-side comparison.
Are we all in agreement that the brunette looks way better? I certainly think so.
But it's not just the colour that's changed here. Notice that the cut itself has been updated—it's a little shorter, a little more chic. And the bang has flipped over to the other side.
Hairstylist Giannandrea did the honours. "I wanted to give Kristen a chic and effortlessly stylish new cut, something to perfectly reflect her personality. The proportions are extremely important with a short haircut. I wanted to preserve the femininity while still bringing an edge to the look, and using a combination of thinning shears and a razor allowed me to achieve this balance. And of course, we wanted to have fun with it!"
Check out what he did from the side; it's pretty amazing:
I love how it looks against her neck! Giannandrea said he began by chopping away the back and the sides of the hair with a pair of thinning shears (creating a steep, layered grading).
Then he razor-cut the top to create the edgy, long pointed ends—which help to shape the neck and cheekbones.
I seriously feel like this is more "her". The other cut was a little too in between—this one really commits to being short, and feels a lot more rock 'n' roll to suit her personality.
To style it, Giannandrea applied a volumizer (Macadamia Natural Oil Foaming Volumizer) at the roots before blow-drying with his fingers, lifting at the roots and directing the hair forward. Once dry, he applied Macadamia Natural Oil Control Fast-Drying Working Sprayand flat-ironed the ends of her hair only. To finish, he created a zigzag part and used a styling cream (Macadamia Natural Oil Whipped Detailing Cream) to add texture.
Here's how it looked with her dress:
So much better than the mesh bell-bottomed harem pants get-up that Karl put her in.
And now, moving on to makeup. This girl wears a smoky eye like nobody else—here, she chose a super-pretty blend of charcoal and shimmery aquamarine blue:
I've got the exact list of products she's wearing from makeup artist Jillian Dempsey...
How to Get Kristen Stewart's Smoky Eye Look
1. Perfect the skin with Chanel Perfection Lumière Long-Wear Flawless Fluid Sunscreen Makeup SPF 15 in 40 Beige. Apply Chanel Lift Lumière Smoothing and Rejuvenating Eye Contour Concealer under the eyes. Set with a light application of Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Colour in No. 20.
2. Gently brush ChanelJoues ContrastePowder Blush in 57 Fandango (or try 2 Rose Bronze) on the cheekbones. To contour, use the middle shade from Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Multi-Colour SPF 15 in No. 01.
3. Cover the lids with the off-black shade from the Chanel Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eyeshadow in 93 Smoky Eyes.
4. At the outer corners of the eyes, apply the dark, shimmery teal shade from Chanel Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eyeshadow in 41 Fascination. Use the light blue/green shade from the same palette for the inner corners and lower lash line.
5. Use Jillian Dempsey Khôl Eyeliner in Jet Black along the upper lash line and blend it towards the outer corners of the eyes. Curl the lashes and then apply several coats of Chanel Le Volume de Chanel Mascara in 10 Noir to the top and bottom lashes, emphasizing the top outer lashes.
6. To define the eyebrows, use Chanel Crayon Sourcils Sculpting Eyebrow Pencil in 40 Brun Cendré.
7. Line the lips with Chanel Le Crayon Lèvres Precision Lip Definer in 89 Beige Satin. Then apply Chanel Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Lip Colour in 114 Précieuse.
Here's how it all comes together:
Chic but edgy hair, glamorous makeup—Kristen is all growed up! This gets my beauty seal of approval... let me know what YOU think.
If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission. See our Disclosure for more information.