What’s new in haircare for the month of September? Consider this your update on all the latest launches that are editor-approved and worth adding to your wish list.
One of the highlights is the first-ever haircare product from Bobbi Brown’s Jones Road Beauty: the Universal Hair Balm. It’s a lightweight, multipurpose styling cream that everyone can use to fight frizz, protect from heat damage and increase shine.
Another notable release is EVOLVh’s Better Roots RootBoost Serum. It’s comprised of 10 powerful actives (including copper peptides) to encourage hair regrowth, and ultimately, fuller-looking hair.
Keep reading for details on these launches and more.
What’s New This Month (At a Glance)
Best New Shampoos
Best New Conditioners
Best New Deep Conditioner
Best New Hair Mask
Best New Scalp Mask
Best New Detanglers
Best New Scalp Serums
Best New Hair Serum
Best New Styling Creams
Best New Thickening Lotion
Best New Styling Spray
Best New Gel
Best New Dry Shampoos
Best New Hairsprays
Best New Hair Dryer
The Best New Hair Products of September 2022
Best New Shampoo: Dae Monsoon Moisture Milk Shampoo
- What it is: Dae Monsoon Moisture Milk Shampoo is a milky, sulfate-free shampoo that intensely moisturizes, smooths frizz and strengthens strands—leaving hair more manageable, glossy and soft.
- Editor’s notes: Dry hair will love this luxe hydrating shampoo, which produces a rich (yet sulfate-free) lather. Suitable for even fine hair types, it leaves hair soft and smooth but not weighed down.
Best New Shampoo: IGK Blonde Pop Purple Toning Shampoo
- What it is: IGK Blonde Pop Purple Toning Shampoo is a purple-toning, blonde-enhancing shampoo that instantly neutralizes brassy tones while boosting vibrancy, softness and shine.
- Editor’s notes: If you’re trying to maintain a cool-toned blonde, then this purple shampoo belongs in your arsenal. When used in conjunction with the matching Conditioner and Treatment Spray, it reduces brassiness by as much as seven times.
Best New Shampoo: Color Wow Curl Wow Hooked 100% Clean Shampoo with Root-Locking Technology
- What it is: Color Wow Curl Wow Hooked 100% Clean Shampoo with Root-Locking Technology is a sulfate-free shampoo that helps to “anchor” curly hair at the root to prevent shedding and reduce breakage.
- Editor’s notes: Unlike most shampoos for curly hair, this one doesn’t leave residue—so your curls will feel lighter and bouncier, and will be more receptive to hydrating styling products. It also features Procapil, a patented ingredient that fights the hair follicle aging process to prevent hair loss. That makes it ideal if you frequently style your hair in braids or wear extensions.
Best New Conditioner: Dae Monsoon Moisture Conditioner
- What it is: Dae Monsoon Moisture Conditioner is a creamy conditioner that delivers weightless moisture, gently detangles, smooths frizz and improves elasticity.
- Editor’s notes: This rich but lightweight conditioner pairs with the matching Shampoo to transform dry, brittle hair. Even though it counteracts frizz and helps make hair more manageable, it doesn’t leave your hair heavy or greasy.
Best New Conditioner: IGK Blonde Pop Purple Toning Conditioner
- What it is: IGK Blonde Pop Purple Toning Conditioner is a purple-toning, blonde-enhancing conditioner that instantly neutralizes brassy tones while boosting vibrancy, softness and shine.
- Editor’s notes: This purple conditioner is suitable for blonde hair of all types and textures. It pairs with the matching Shampoo and Treatment Spray to rid your hair of brassiness for a brighter, more vibrant blonde.
Best New Conditioner: Color Wow Curl Wow Coco-Motion Lubricating Conditioner
- What it is: Color Wow Curl Wow Coco-Motion Lubricating Conditioner is a conditioner that restores bounce, elasticity and fluid motion to dry, dehydrated curls.
- Editor’s notes: Just like the matching Shampoo, this conditioner is specifically made for curly hair. It’s silicone-free, and penetrates inside the hair strands to gives curls needed moisture without feeling heavy or greasy.
Best New Deep Conditioner: Melanin Haircare Plumping Deep Conditioner
- What it is: Melanin Haircare Plumping Deep Conditioner is a moisture-rich, reparative deep conditioner that instantly hydrates, silkens, smooths and strengthens dry, brittle, coarse or damaged hair.
- Editor’s notes: This intensive deep conditioner is meant to be worn for up to 30 minutes for dramatic nourishment and de-frizzing. It’s aimed at thicker hair types, and promises plump, hydrated curls, kinks, coils and waves.
Best New Hair Mask: Christophe Robin Colour Shield Cleansing Mask
- What it is: Christophe Robin Colour Shield Cleansing Mask is a gentle cleansing and conditioning hair mask that helps to prolong the vibrancy of colour-treated hair.
- Editor’s notes: This creamy mask is meant to be used once a week on coloured, bleached or highlighted hair. It’s both a shampoo and a nourishing mask (which you can leave in for up to one hour), and works to both soften and protect hair from fading.
Best New Scalp Mask: Fable & Mane SahaScalp Cooling Scalp Mud Mask
- What it is: Fable & Mane SahaScalp Cooling Scalp Mud Mask is a lightweight mask that cools and hydrates your scalp.
- Editor’s notes: The brand calls this mud mask “the ultimate scalp facial.” You’re meant to massage it into your scalp and leave it on for 10 minutes to let the neem oil soothe and the sea silt oxygenate.
Best New Detangler: Pattern Detangling Nectar
- What it is: Pattern Detangling Nectar is a slippy detangling formula that glazes curls to ease combing through knots and coils, leaving hair with shine and hydration.
- Editor’s notes: This detangler can be used either before shampooing as a rinse-out “pre-poo,” or after as a leave-in styler. It’s silicone-free, and works on wet or dry hair, from roots to tips.
Best New Detangler: Color Wow Curl Wow Snag-Free Pre-Shampoo Detangler
- What it is: Color Wow Curl Wow Snag-Free Pre-Shampoo Detangler is a detangler that adds slip to curls before you shampoo for tangle-free washing and reduced breakage.
- Editor’s notes: Unlike most detanglers, this one is specifically for curly hair, and is meant to be used before (not after) you shampoo. It’s infused with oils to prevent tangles, knots and breakage, and even eliminates the need for a heavy conditioner.
Best New Detangler: Amika The Wizard Silicone-Free Detangling Primer
- What it is: Amika The Wizard Silicone-Free Detangling Primer is a multitasking detangling spray that preps and primes your hair for any style.
- Editor’s notes: This bestselling detangler has just been reformulated without silicones. Not only does it does detangle all hair types, it also reduces frizz, protects hair from heat styling and cuts down on blow-dry time.
Best New Scalp Serum: EVOLVh Better Roots RootBoost Serum
- What it is: EVOLVh Better Roots RootBoost Serum is a nourishing, soothing scalp serum that supports healthy hair regrowth for the appearance of thicker, fuller hair.
- Editor’s notes: This serum boasts 10 clinically-proven active ingredients (including copper peptides, plant stem cells and an array of botanical extracts) to stimulate hair follicles and surrounding skin cells. It’s oil-free and non-greasy, and suitable for all hair types. With daily use, results can be seen in about three to six months.
Best New Scalp Serum: Better Not Younger Superpower+ Advanced Hair Densifying Scalp Serum
- What it is: Better Not Younger Superpower+ Advanced Hair Densifying Scalp Serum is a gel serum for thinning hair and sensitive scalps to support thicker-, denser- and stronger-looking hair.
- Editor’s notes: This serum is powered by Procapil (the same anti-hair loss ingredient we saw in Color Wow), along with scalp-soothers like apple cider vinegar and rosemary. It’s meant to be applied daily, with results visible in as few as eight weeks.
Best New Hair Serum: Color Wow Curl Wow Flo-Etry Vital Natural Serum
- What it is: Color Wow Curl Wow Flo-Etry Vital Natural Serum is an oil-based hair serum that moisturizes curly strands from root to tip for plump, plush, juicy curls.
- Editor’s notes: When combed through wet hair, this serum mimics the effect of your hair’s natural oils to de-frizz and hydrate your curls. It’s rich but non-greasy and weightless on the hair.